Skip to content

Stettler Imperials extend win streak

Fourth win in a row for hometown team
Stettler and Castor players come off the faceoff line. (Carson Ellis photo)

By Carson Ellis

For the Stettler Independent

The Stettler Imperials ended the year on home ice taking on the Coronation Royals on Saturday, Dec. 23. The Imperials went into Saturday’s game with wins in their three previous games.

The Royals took the first penalty with a cross-checking call in the first two minutes of play, while the Imperials managed the first goal of the period; Riley Turre’s first goal of the season arrived at just under 15 minutes assisted by Rhett Shingoose and JJ Fournier. Only a few moments later, Imperials’ Brett Muhlbach received his eighth goal of the season, assisted by Kieran Rost. Up to this point, the Imperials had kept Royals from making any shots on their net.

Both teams moved fast with there being no shortage of physical contact during play. As the first period neared the five-minute mark, a heated brawl broke out between several players from both teams. Despite this, when play resumed after discussing the situation, play continued with five-on-five play. Both the Royals’ Aaron Numeier and Stettler’s Brenden Tucker received two-minute penalties. Imperials Fournier took an interference penalty shortly afterward.

The second period began with both teams charged as they hit the ice. Coronation’s captain Matt Hanger managed to get the first goal of the period.

The Imperials’ next goal came halfway through the second period from Riley Turre. Turre was assisted by Devon Shanks and Adam Ternes. Another goal would follow this one seconds later but was disallowed.

Both teams took a penalty after the disallowed goal. Imperials’ Brenden Tucker would receive two minutes for interference. Royals’ Isaac Grubisic would receive two minutes for cross-checking. Royals’ Corey Twa would get another penalty shortly after.

Stettler made the best of their manned advantage with Alex DeYoung scoring a goal with eight minutes to go. He was assisted by Ethan Rost and Quade Cassidy. However, Coronation answered back with a goal of their own less than a minute later. Hanger managed to get one past Imperials goaltender Nattestad to get the Royals on the board.

The goal was followed by penalties for both teams. The first one going to Stettler Kieran Rost for the Imperials and the second going to Royals Jaydon Buxton. Both teams took another penalty, this time Stettler’s goalie Davin Nattestad got a penalty for delay of the game. Coronation #17 would also receive a penalty, leaving the teams playing four-on-four.

Stettler did the best they could with the four-on-four, with a goal scored by Rost. Quade Cassidy would get the assist, helping to give the home team a four-point cushion over the Royals.

An already physical game would bubble over with just two minutes left to go when players started jabbing and grabbing at each other in front of the Imperials’ net.

Crowds cheered as several small brawls broke out amongst players. The Royals captain found himself exchanging blows with Stettler’s Austin Stahlberg while officials intervened between other exchanges. Theon-ice tilt would result in a five-minute major for Imperials’ Stahlberg.

Stettler won the game 8-4, outshooting the Royals 43-30. The Imperials are back in action on Jan. 6 when they faceoff against the Sedgewick Sabres in an away game.

Imperials celebrate a goal. (Carson Ellis photo)